Arena Racing Company (“ARC”) governance has announced a multimillion investment plan to develop the facilities at Bath Racecourse.
The proposals have been submitted for planning approval to Bath and North East Somerset Council. If approval is granted it will ensure Bath Racecourse becomes a premier sporting, leisure and business facility and supports ARC’s ambitions to continue to invest in its racecourses.
The multimillion investment by ARC will transform Bath Racecourse and includes:
- The construction of a new grandstand which will be located overlooking the final furlong. It will include a spacious public bar on the ground floor, viewing steps for up to 400 people and a 200 seat premier trackside restaurant with a balcony on the middle floor. The top floor will consist of an exclusive covered roof terrace offering visitors unrivalled premium viewing opportunities on racedays. The new grandstand will also offer a wonderful function space for non-raceday events including conferences, banquets and weddings;
- A rebuild of the existing hospitality stand that overlooks the finishing line with the aim of providing one of the best sporting hospitality facilities within the region. The upgraded suites will include the addition of balconies and feature sumptuous décor and enhanced catering options. On the ground floor there will be a large new public bar for racegoers to enjoy;
- Improved landscaping throughout the site and use of the outside space closest to the finishing post, created by a small movement and upgrade to the existing parade ring and winners enclosure in order to provide more racegoers with closer proximity to the sporting action;
- Refurbishment of the existing bar and bathrooms in the current grandstand;
- The addition of a new café offering visitors a wider range of delicious hot and cold food options.
All construction work will be carried out while maintaining Bath Racecourse’s current race programme without the need to transfer any fixtures to other racecourses. More details about the exact timeline for construction will be provided in due course once approval has been granted. It is currently proposed that works would be completed prior to the commencement of the 2016 racing season with the exception of the new grandstand which will be completed by the autumn of 2016.
ARC Chief Executive Officer Martin Cruddace said: “These plans illustrate ARC’s commitment to investment and we very much hope they will be approved by the council so we can progress with the construction of the new stand ahead of Bath Racecourse’s 2016 racing season. This is a very significant undertaking by ARC which will benefit both the racing industry and the local community for years to come.”
Bath Racecourse Executive Director Jo Hall said: “This is an exciting time for the racecourse with ARC’s investment plans ensuring it has a bright future. We are already a popular and thriving local attraction but the extensive improvements will ensure we become a premier destination for racing and a wide range of business and leisure events. I would like to thank everyone who is working on this project with us and we look forward to seeing the plans become reality in the months ahead. ”