Paddy Power the only bookmaker to have paid out early on Hillary Clinton winning the 2016 US Election, has admitted to having severe doubts regarding its generous decision.
On 19 October the bookmaker closed its US 2016 market, paying out approximately £800,000 on a Clinton victory.
However, following Clinton’s ‘email scandal’ reappearing on the US Election agenda, Donald Trump has seen his odds collapse from 5/1 (representing a 16.7% of winning) to 5/2 giving the brash New Yorker a 28% chance of becoming the first ‘President Donny’.
Féilim Mac An Iomaire, spokesperson for Paddy Power, commented on the market
“We’re not reaching for the rosary beads just yet but if money talks, and it usually does, it’s telling us that Trump still has a puncher’s chance and he’ll be leaving us with some very expensive egg on our face if he does manage to pull it off.”
Updating the media, Paddy Power detailed a list of events less likely than trump winning the US Presidency;
Paddy Power – Things Less Likely Than Trump 2016 Victory
- 3/1 Cleveland Cavaliers to win the NBA Championship 2016-2017
- 15/2 Seattle Seahawks to win Superbowl LI
- 9/2 Germany to win World Cup 2018
- 3/1 Liverpool FC to win the English Premier League
- 3/1 Taylor Swift to win best album at the 2017 Grammy Awards
- 5/1 Cardinal Luis Antonio Tagle to be the next Pope
- 11/4 Cersei Lannister to sit atop the Iron Throne at the end of Game of Thrones Season 7
- 7/2 London to have a white Christmas
- 3/1 Aidan Turner to be the next James Bond