SBC News Google AI and SGE: What’s next for affiliates?

Google AI and SGE: What’s next for affiliates?

Google has begun pushing AI algorithms into its search engine, transforming traditional search results into a Search Generative Experience (SGE). 

While still in an experimental stage and available to a limited number of people, Google plans to allow everyone  access to SGE content regardless of where they might be in the world. 

SGE will essentially transform the way users look up content on the internet by giving them a simplified summary of their search prompts (compiled by available online sources) right at the top of the search results, which in many cases would make accessing information through clicking on page links obsolete. 

Combined with the increasing usage of generative AI for content production, this all might spell trouble for affiliates relying on search engines like Google to remain visible.

During one of its Affiliates Day conference sessions, SBC asked a number of experts in the affiliates sector to present their views on AI and how it will change the affiliate model moving forward. 

Panel moderator Ivana Flynn, SEO Director at ComeOn, was joined by Sacha Kinser, Head of Content at Finixio, together with Iván Gimeno, Head of Media Relations at Growth Leads, and Michael Daly, CEO at Catena Media, to dive further into the topic. 

Flynn informed viewers that the new SGE model covers 87% of all topics currently found on Google’s search engine database, intentionally leaving out 13% of which ‘casino’ is part of. 

All panellists agreed that odds remain optimistic for affiliates as of now, due to Google being a business whose financial model is largely being supported by advertisements placed within web links. 

According to Kinser, the novelty of SGE will also work in favour of affiliates as it would bring more users to Google searches. 

But to capitalise on this, businesses in the affiliate space need to be patient as people are yet to fully grasp how to get the most out of the new search tool, which is more likely to lead to an evolution than a revolution as said by Daly, Catena’s CEO. 

In terms of content, an important factor for affiliates in 2024 will be closely matching the information they publish with the search term they are trying to rank on SGE. Using natural language within easy-to-understand pieces will be a priority. 

To get a full understanding of what is yet to come for affiliates in the year ahead, you can view the full panel discussion on SGE and AI by clicking here.

Check Also

SBC News Google to expand Play RMG framework for India, Mexico & Brazil

Google to expand Play RMG framework for India, Mexico & Brazil

Google has informed its app developer community that its app store “Google Play will begin …

SBC News AGCOM fines Google and Twitch for Dignity Decree violations 

AGCOM fines Google and Twitch for Dignity Decree violations 

AGCOM, the Media and Communications Authority of Italy, has imposed fines of €2.25mand €900,000 on …

SBC News PaymentExpert: Tech giants commit to UK's Online Fraud Charter

PaymentExpert: Tech giants commit to UK’s Online Fraud Charter

The UK government has deepened its commitment to protecting citizens from fraud after reaching what …