Representatives from six different bookmakers will duke it out for the prestigious Racing Post/SIS Betting Shop Manager of the Year next month as the competition announced its eight regional champions.
Independent bookmakers Jenningsbet and Toals Bookmakers have managers on the shortlist, alongside Betfred, Paddy Power, William Hill and three from GVC Group’s Ladbrokes and Coral operations.
Selected from a shortlist of 24 candidates, the competition judges made their decisions after meeting the managers at Doncaster last weekend, where the judges were able to watch each candidate being interviewed by Derek Thompson and reread the report of a mystery shopper visit.
The eight finalists will now compete for the title at an awards lunch at the JW Marriott Grosvenor House hotel in London on Monday 11 November. Each regional champion, accompanied by a key member of their staff, will meet the judges the day before the final for a question-and-answer session.
The winner receives a VIP trip to one of Hong Kong’s major race meetings next year, courtesy of the Hong Kong Jockey Club, and will also be invited to several key racing and betting occasions during their year as champion.
Richard Ames, SIS Chief Executive Officer, commented: “The Betting Shop Manager of the Year competition celebrates the best that the industry has to offer and recognises the achievements of those who are delivering an excellent customer-facing service across the UK and Ireland. It’s great to see managers from a wide variety of companies represented and we wish them all the luck in the next stage.”
- Greater London: Robert Kivanc, Coral, Bromley
- South-east: Dean Munnings, JenningsBet, Norwich
- South-west: Jayne Everett, Betfred, Plymouth
- Midlands & Wales: Sandra Gilmartin, Paddy Power, Coventry
- North-west: Carole Ogram, Ladbrokes, Birkenhead
- North-east: Becky Drake, Ladbrokes, Barnsley
- Scotland: Colin Anderson, William Hill, Prestwick
- Ireland: Stephen McKenna, Toals Bookmakers, Portadown